Friday, July 08, 2011

A Dance with Dragons

I have seen the future...if not actually touched it. Amazon.de not withstanding, some people do get early copies, and those people are librarians. I'm of course talking about the long awaited fifth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons. I'm excited about this book, mostly because I had given up hope that it would actually ever be released.
Elizabeth did a happy dance when the UPS dude showed up with the box containing said book, and he was at least a little freaked out.
She showed it to me, and flipped through it to prove me that there were actually words on the pages, not to mention maps at the front. I was in a state of disbelief right up until that moment.
But, I'm not on the waiting list because there is no way that I can finish a book of the size in three weeks - and I don't want to be at a crucial point only to return it and then wait a few months before getting another shot at it. I am instead waiting for the audiobook version. Hey, Amazon says it ships Tuesday next, and Elizabeth is going to order a copy, and I am going to be number one on the list.
This is very nearly exciting as the release of the final Harry Potter book, and more exciting than the final book of the Wheel of Time series (no offense meant to Sanderson).

No comments: