Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Breaking Bad Season 1 Disc 3


Episode 7: A No-Rough-Stuff-Type Deal
This episode was all about changes. From the obvious like Walt and Jesse change the way they make meth or the way Skyler views her sister after the whole tiara incident, to the subtle changes like Walt bringing up to Hank that he doesn't [any longer] see the bright line between what is legal and what is illegal or Jesse stepping up when he needed to because his sense of self worth is improving.
I like that when Walt and Skyler go to visit his doctor, that even though they're into his round of treatment still refuses to say anything other than to stick with the treatment. You want to try Eastern medicine? No problem as long as you keep doing the treatments here. You want to sacrifice heads of cabbage to a saint to banis the demons inhabiting your lungs? No problem as long as you keep doing the treatments here. Maybe he's a great guy, but I can't help but see it in terms of money and how the doctor wants more.
There were a few more outright humorous moments in this episode, like Walter Jr. using his position as camera man at the baby shower to look down women's dresses or when Walt and Jesse steal the chemicals, but can only find this giant and heavy drum that they sneak out past the guard locked in the porta-potty.
While not funny, per se, I love when Jesse first sees Walt with his new do and says he looks like Lex Luthor. What? I can be a little proud of myself for coming up with that comparison before I heard them use it. And I think we do get to see a little bit of the evil genius playing out in the open when Walt explains cordite to Jesse.
This is the season one finale. There were no cliff-hangers, but also no real wrap-up of anything either. I think what we got were some set-ups for the season two story arc. I'll just have to wait and see. It might be a long wait, as this season is the only one in the library system and I need to request that a library buy it to add to their collection, which entails me hoping that some other people have already requested it, or shortly will request it, so that there are enough for the library to think it will circulate, which it totally will.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention my little crush on the vice principal at the high school where Walt teaches. We don't get to see many other adults at the school, not in a meaningful manner at least and she is very sweet to Walt and also has taken up Hugo's defense. I'm sure that she'll somehow get fired over the break in at the school that led to Hugo's arrest.

Breaking Bad at IMDb

No comments: