Friday, September 06, 2013

Escape from Planet Earth (2013)

I think I might now be through watching animated movies. Well, I should qualify that - mass market films aimed at kids and made by Americans, oh, and computer animated that is supposed to look computer animated. The exception to this rule is if they ever actually make that sequel to the Incredibles - I'll watch that. But really, I am through with this genre. I think I've been feeling this way for a while, but have kept watching them in hopes of finding another Incredibles. I haven't. But, to be fair, these movies aren't aimed at me, I just watch them because I'm on familiar terms with my library and watch a lot of things I wouldn't otherwise.
This film has the requisite slimming and close up on the computer animated hair/fur. It also has the requisite list of big name stars doing the voices, though I have got to say that this was voiced particularly well - likely the best work that William Shatner has ever done. There are the standard characters: hero who doesn't believe in him/herself at the beginning, cowardly wise-cracking sidekick, super-strong/tough sidekick with a heart-of-gold, brawny characters who are dimwitted and brainy characters who are scrawny in comparison.
Look, I'll be as objective as I can - this is on par with Despicable Me or Aliens Vs Monsters. If that is a good thing to you, or you're watching this with younger children, then go for it; but if my comparison is a bad thing to you, then pass on this one.

Escape from Planet Earth on IMDb

No comments: