Thursday, January 08, 2009

The 'eyes' have it - take 4

I was just sittig around the other day and thinking, "man, it's been a long time since anyone has cut into one of my eyeballs - at least a year." We can't have that, now cane we?

Having had my fill of Pars Plana Vitrectomies for the time being, I thought I would branch out for the next surgery. This time I thought I would give cataract surgery a try and see how it feels to have someone cutting into my eye while I'm awake and fully conscious.

Cataract surgery sounds so much more benign, doesn't it? Well, it is a bit less invasive, I'll give you that. Cataract surgery entails a surgeon cutting into my eye over the lens which will then be broken up with ultrasound and sucked out with a little vacuum so that they can fit a new, artificial lens in my eye. Fhew! Is that all?

I was hoping the surgery could have been done on the Christmas holiday, since two of the last three Christmases saw me having eye surgery, I was hoping to put this best-of-five series away this year. But, no such luck and I'm settling for recovering over my birthday, which is, I guess, the next best thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Eric, long time no chat via the various forms of e-chatting we've discovered. Yowch on the eye surgery stuff. Perhaps you have not posted since January because you are recovering? I send healing vibes to your eyeballs now and hope it helps. I also pledge to keep both my eyes peeled for your next post, and the one after that, and the next one too--a little inspiration, I hope, to keep the keys tapping.

Unknown said...

Hi Kristy. The recovery for this eye surgery was nothing compared to the first three. I could function somewhat normally within a day and could get back to heavy lifting after a couploe of weeks. (The first two surgeries found me facedown for ten days with a gas bubble inserted into my eye to hold the retina in place. That really sucked, especially the first one which occurred over Christmas and left me winded to walk from the bedroom to the living room.)
I've got another surgery coming up in five weeks. :)

I haven't been writing because I'm lame, no surgery to blame. Just lameness. Well, I did just finish a 72 page proposal; but still I did choose to play lots of games of bejeweled and bejeweled 2 instead of blogging or novelling.

But as soon as finals are over (in a week), then I hope to devote some real energy to writing again.