Thursday, November 04, 2010

NaNo update for 11/4

First things first, if for some reason you've never read the blog of my dear friend Kristy Billuni, stop reading this, follow the link to The Sexy Grammarian and read some entries. :D

The fourth day of writing is pretty much done and I'm write on target - five chapters and 16k words done. I don't hate the story, and in fact am really looking forward to how some of it is going to continue to unfold in a way I hadn't planned in my outline. So far I think I've managed to capture all the new names I've added and put them on my master character list with a little blurb explaining how they are, the same for new places and group entities.

I'm still waiting for the first snag, I know it's coming - it always comes. The snag is that point where the outline doesn't seem to make sense, and you can't string one word after another to save your life. The story just sits there, the cursor blinking, as a mild panic takes over your brain. hopefully the first snag won't stop me for long - this year I'm ready for it. Our local library sells magazines donated to it for a dime apiece. That right there should be enough, but I've actually bought about a dozen magazines, ones that I know contain some amazing pictures, and I suspect some equally amazing articles, that as are yet untouched by me, waiting for that moment when I need to get out of my head space for a little bit. The "Dirty Dozen" is composed of five National Geographics, three Scientific Americas, two Smithsonians, and one each Popular Science and Popular Mechanics.

The only setback I've had so far, and it's not really that, just a time-suck as I had to stop what I was doing to get some more research done, came when I invented some new forensic sciences techniques and had to hastily check to see if the foundations were sound. I think you know you have perhaps watched too many episodes of CSI when you start throwing around terms like "Alleles" and "Heteroplasmy". I am writing a science fiction after all, and I"ve fot to get the science right if I want to give the fiction a chance. :)

No comments: