Thursday, March 08, 2012

an open letter to Sufjan Stevens

Dear Mr. Stevens,

I, like many people throughout the world, am a big fan of your music. I've been listening since the Illinois album came out, and own everything up through the Age of Adz. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your lyrics and really dig your voice.

So, when I see that you're part of the new s / s / s project, I gave a listen to the song Pitchfork had linked on their site. Do you sing on that song? I'm pretty sure that you do, but the "TrueTone" effect is so overpowering, it might have been just about anyone. So, I thought that maybe you were making some kind of political or artistic statement. I don't like your voice on that song, but I respect the decision.
But, then I follow another link provided by Pitchfork, this time to a collaboration between you and Rosie Thomas. I did watch the little "skit" of hers, so I get that she's likely got a comedic outlook on things - but again the TrueTone!

I can safely say that I will not be huying any albums where your vocals are TrueToned.

You don't need this crutch, and if you're making some kind of artistic or political statement, I'm afraid it's been lost on me.

Sorry, dude.

No comments: