Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Descendants (2011)


George Clooney stars as Matt King, he's an attorney living in Hawaii where his family has lived for generations. His wife is in a boating accident which leaves her in a coma in a slowly deteriorating state which the doctors think she'll never recover from. Matt had not been the best father, and now must come to terms with his two daughters.
Matt must come to terms with learning that his wife had been cheating on him, while brokering the sale of the family land held in trust for his cousins and him. As the sale draws closer, Matt becomes more and more obsessed with tracking down the guy who his wife cheated on him with and finds that the guy is a realtor tied up with the deal for his family trust.
Matt ultimately decides that he wants to keep the land, and he has seven years to figure out how to do it, likely seven years of his cousins trying to get the land from him, but he doesn't really care.
-----
Nobody forced this movie on me, but it was offered for my viewing pleasure, so I took the bait. I would have ended up caving in eventually, because I am a big George Clooney fan. I should have known that when I read the word, "unapologetically" that I was in for it. This is not a happy movie, even though it mentions "funny" several times. I'm not saying it's not a good film, it is, it's just really fucking depressing.
The quotes on the box about a great ensemble cast are spot on. There was not one single weak link. Particularly good, in addition to Clooney of course, were Shailene Woodsley as his oldest daughter and surprisingly Matthew Lillard as "the other guy".
This was shot on location in Hawaii, mostly on Oahu and Kuai. I can't think of a more beautiful locale than this. Of course the story line was tied to Hawaii and probably wouldn't have worked in any other US location, thought I suppose they could have made it forested land in Northern California or Upstate New York. I'm glad that they didn't.
The soundtrack was pretty rockin' with a lot of traditional sounding Hawaiian music. Okay, I may be making a fallacy with that statement, I am just assuming this since all fo the songs were in Hawaiian. It was great none the less.
Oh, and for the record, I only teared up when Clooney did, talking to his wife right before she passed.

No comments: