Monday, April 30, 2012

Going Postal (2010)


OK, usually I write up a description of what happened in the movie or show I've watched and then I give my opinion on it. I guess I should do that, so, I'll give you the nutshell version.
A conman gets caught and sentenced to hang, but instead of death is forced to head up Post Office in Ankhsport. He is at odds with the evil man running the Clacks Service (a kind of telegraph, but with lights from tower to tower), from the very beginning. He develops a love / hate relationship with a woman who hires out golems and has ties to the Clacks service and a reason to hate the man running it.
Eventually the postman the Clacksman come to loggerheads and have a competition that will put one of them out of business for good. They both cheat, but the conman is cheating for the 'right' reasons, so he wins.
-----
Now, I can get to what I want to say. I have loved the live action BBC productions of Pratchett's work that have been coming out over the last few years. This one, not so much. The best thing I can say about this two-part movie is that it has good production value. It's not funny enough to be a comedy; not serious enough to be a drama; not involved with the characters feelings and love enough to be a romance; not action-packed enough to be an adventure. Nor is it some kind of hybrid that incorporates all four of these elements, though they are certainly present at times.
Aside from the golems and the fact that this story takes place on (or is that in?) Discworld, this doesn't seem like a fantasy as much as it does a stylized period piece. Meh. Maybe I just don't like the Discworld stories that don't feature Death (who is not even present at all in this one, even though characters do die).
I can't say much for the acting, it was neither brilliant nor horrible.
Perhaps I set my expectations too high, since I have been waiting on this show for a long time, made even longer by another library in the county bumping me not once but twice so that their patron could watch the film. What I didn't know at the time was that they were trying to help me out. This was one that I could have passed on.

No comments: