Saturday, September 29, 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)


The movie is to the first Sherlock Holmes exactly as Iron Man II was to Iron Man. Which is not surprising since both star Robert Downey Jr. I liked this movie, in spite of itself at times. It seems that at a few spots that it added in action scenes just to out-do the first installment in the series. The movie felt too long - it did clock in at over two hours, but it didn't need to feel like it did. They could have shortened some of the action sequences and perhaps expand on the interaction between Sherlock and Simza, or between Watson and his new bride.
Stephen Fry really made the movie for me. I would have liked it with another actor, but would have probably ended up feeling disappointed at the over all film - not that it was bad, but that it wasn't as good as the first. I think Fry as Mycroft pulls it up a notch. Noomi was great too, her Simza was a bit understated, which worked for me, but she was definitely under-used.
The one thing about this movie that both bothered me and tickled my funny bone, was Holmes's Clouseau moments when he is in his "urban camouflage". This film definitely played to humor more than the first, but I'm not sure if that worked. I think they should have either gone for more "quirky" humor so that the film was better balanced with it, or cut back entirely.

No comments: