Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia


I wonder what the percentage of British actors compared to American actors is appearing nude on television? I wonder if I should factor in Showtime and HBO? A lot of their shows star British actors, well, I'm thinking about the shows I know with nudity. It has always seemed odd to me that television can show people getting blown up and shot and strangled, all in graphic detail that continues from the crime through the investigation; but can't bring itself to show boobs and bums. Anyway, Mr. Cumberbatch continues with the long tradition of British actors.
I have a confession to make. Please don't tell my librarian. I have only ever read one Sherlock Holmes book and I don't recall liking it very much, though I don't recall disliking it either. I think I was very indifferent about it and was thus distracted by something shiny and forgot about reading any others. If I thought for a second they were as interesting as the episodes of this series, I would stop writing right this moment and go find a copy. Actually if I thought they were as interesting as the Robert Downy version of Sherlock Holmes I would read them and while I like those movies, I like this series a whole lot more.
Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman reprise their roles as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson for the second season of Sherlock, starting with A Scandal in Belgravia. As I don't believe that Belgravia is explicitly mentioned in the episode, one is left to draw inference from the cases and / or possibly the ending sequence, both of which point to a terrorist cell which is likely tied to Belgravia.
At the end of the first season we are left Holmes being outwitted by James Moriarty. He figures into this episode as well, but Holmes main adversary is The Woman, Irene Adler, who is Holmes match or very nearly so, but not in the way that Moriarty is.
Adler manipulates Holmes and uses his own ego against him and through him his older brother Mycroft. She very nearly gets away with it but Sherlock figures it out at the last moment.
The real treat is that Sherlock seems to genuinely feel something for her and saves her life, though it means not seeing her again.
This was a really top notch program and I really need to wrap this so I can watch the next installment.

No comments: