Thursday, December 19, 2013

Breaking Bad Season 2 Disk 3:

Episode 8:
Is anyone surprised that Badger first proves that the guy trying to buy is a cop, and then talks himself into selling to the guy anyways? He was not the brightest of the dim bulbs Jesse picked to be his dealers, but still, you would think that unless he was high he would have had more common sense. But he doesn't. I think this is a great angle the writers have here. When the young cop is interrogating him, Badger says, "I thought we were going to hang out". Badger is this lonely loser, who likes to do meth, likes to make money selling meth, and is desperate for a friend.
Then we have Jesse back at the casa with Jane, who is way too good looking for this particular wanna be gangster. She does reveal that she's in recovery so maybe she's not too far removed from the lifestyle that Jesse is leading, and maybe she will prove to be motivation to do better in the future. Just who's version of better is at question.
The drug bust and slimeball lawyer are hilarious. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. At least Walter was not frozen by fear and put into action what he had counseled Hank to do - to take your fear head on and kick it in the teeth. It will be interesting to see how the lawyer shakes out. His character is as crooked as the day is long, but he has some code he works by, and I think he's as smart as he is ambitious. I guess that's the perfect combination if your an up and coming drug king pin.

Episode 9:
Is this Walt and Jesse's last cook out? This is one of those times where watching a show that is a couple of years old kind of spoils the effect, because I know that there are three more seasons of the show. But, that aside, while you're watching this episode you can't tell how it's going to go until Walt and family are sitting int he doctor's office and hearing the diagnosis. I saw the scan and thought what Walt thought when I saw it, but I also know from friends and family members that what you see on the scan is not necessarily what you think you are seeing, which is why we pay the doctors the big bucks.
Walt came down pretty hard on Jesse for a fair amount of the episode. Jesse is kind of an idiot, I supopse, and I also understand how frustrated Walt was spending what he thought was going to be his last weekend cooking with one easily avoidable mishap after another. You know that he cares for the kid during the scene where they are making the battery and Walt is explaining how things work and Jesse is grasping it and almost answers copper instead of just wire. I think if he would have said copper, Walt would have given him a congratulatory hug.
Somthing I like about both these characters is that they will do what other people consider bad things, maybe even what they would have considered bad at an earlier point in their life, but there are certain things that are sacred, like thier families and friends and no matter how much they complain each kicking in part of his profits to balance the other one out as the need arises. If it wasn't for the murder and providing this horrible drug, you could almost respect their choices.

Episode 10:
Talk about your mean drunks. Walt is either a horrible father and pretty much an idiot, or he is one sick bastard with a plan. I don't mean physically sick, because, well we already know that he is. Obviously, I'm referring to his treatment of Walter Jr. and the tequila. You have to wonder what Walt was thinking and what is going to come up between Walt and Hank.
Jesse's dad is supposed to be a bad-ass, but seems like a normal enough guy, I guess I can see why Jesse feels hurt when Jane won't introduce him, but then she does have a point since Jesse is the 'stoner' neighbor and meeting her dad for three seconds does not give you an accurate view of a person's character.
Meanwhile, back at the office... I will just come out and say it, I don't like Skylar. I haven't ever liked her. But, I don't dislike her. I just don't think that she is a good match for Walt. So, I don't really care what she does with her co-worker, except how it might impact Walt. This is not a bad thing. Really. I think it adds to the tension of the story. Please note that I said Skylar and not the actresses name - I think Gilligan made a conscious decision to portray her in a certain, oft-seeming unsympathetic way.
So, the leit motif at the beginning of about half the episodes this season has been a forensics team in haz-mat gear collecting evidence at Walt's house after an explosion and/or fire. This episode show more than we had seen before which included two, presumably, body bags laid out in the drive-way. When the next scene is the party mentioned above and Hank is talking about C4 on the turtle and one's mind naturally goes to the drug cartel's involvement in the explosion - as I think the producers want us to. But, as the episode progresses and Walt becomes Mr. Fixit, I wonder if it won't be him blowing up the house accidentally, or if the whole home repair schtick is just to set-up the last scene.

No comments: