Wednesday, February 16, 2005

restaurant review- Eleni's Philoxenia

Eleni's Philoxenia. 112 NW 9th Ave, Portland, OR
We went to dinner at 6 on a Tuesday night. Our timing allowed us a nearly empty restaurant at first, thought by 7 the place was over half full.
We started the meal with an appetizer and a glass of wine each. I had red wine and picked it by price rather than by name. I'm not much of a wine connesieur, but enjoyed the rich, spicy-almost dry flavor. Our appetizer was a plate of dumplings filled mostly with feta that came out at the same time as our bread. The dumplings were superb as was the olive oil that came with the bread.
For our entrees, my girlfriend had tiger prawns in a tomato sauce with zucchini, vegetables and mushrooms. I had the kota me skortho, free-ranged chicken, oven-baked and served with garlicky mashed potatoes with broccolini and asparagus. It was delicious. The chicken was moist and tender with crispy edges, just the way I like it. And, how can you go wrong with garlicky potatoes?
For dessert, we tried different dishes to get a better idea of what they had to offer. My girlfriend had a custard with grand marnier and kahlua sauce and I had the baclava. They were both rich, but the baclava was almost too much with its honey sauce and candied fruit.
Our waiter was attentive but not over-bearing. He provided just the right amount of service. The hostess kept our water glass constantly full, which is always a good thing in my book.
Our ticket came to just over $60 which seemed very reasonable for what we had received. Though, it's definitely someplace we can't afford to go very often.

Grade: A-

No comments: