Monday, June 29, 2009

Mumblings of a Bore

I'm not always the most observant person, but I would guess I'm about average on most issues. I'm aware enough of what's going on around me to walk down the street and not get hit by a car, to know when I'm at my bus stop (unless it's dark and rainy and then it's sometimes not so easy), and I more often than not know when someone is talking to me. What I don't always know is if they're paying attention to me.
I first noticed my freshman of college that I have a tendency to drone on in such a monotone manner, talking of such uninteresting things that even my friends tune out in under a minute. I though for a long time it was because I didn't know how to interact with humans.
I've concluded right this moment that the problem is not that I don't know how to communicate, it's that I don't know how to read an audience, which in some respects is ironic.
But, what am I to do? When I do pay attention to what the audience wants, I'm left with liners, blurbs and clichés. And that's when I'm talking to my friends and family.
I could quickly project my problems on to them - they're not paying attention because they are distracted with self-loathing. But, considering at least half of my audience does not know what that term means, I doubt that's the case.
I could put the blame on mass media. Prime time television is packed full of one liners, blurbs and clichés. The typical internet page is designed to grab your attention in as short of time as possible to keep you from clicking away. Magazines have lost lengthy stories and now seem to mostly be advertisements and pictures comparing different celebrities in the same dress. But, wait...at least two-thirds of my audience reads books on a regular basis. And everyone in my audience can sit through a whole feature length movie (for the sake of this argument, let's not discuss pacing, okay).
So? I'm left with two possibilities; either I am boring and/or uninteresting, or the vast majority of my personal audience are incapable of interacting with other humans. Someone once told me, that if the problem appears to be everybody else, it's probably really you. Or maybe I heard that on television. Either way, I'm got to give some merit to it's little nugget of wisdom, no matter how pop-psychology-like it seems.
I will unequivically state two facts today - one is drawn from the above, but the other is not necessarily relevant, but true just the same. First, as Al Franken has pointed out, Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot. Second, I'm a bore.
Oh god...am I going to end up concluding that I am in many ways like Rush Limbaugh? No, that can't be. He's rich and has a huge audience that appears to hang on his every idiotic word.

...to be continued...

No comments: