Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Queen of the Damned (2002)

This movie makes me sad in the same way that the Crow does. A young star so full of life, and poof! They're dead. I find it a tad ironic that the last roles for Brandon Lee and Aaliyah were playing undead characters.
It's been so long since I read Anne Rice's book of the same name, that I'm not quite sure what got left out, because I think might be remembering some facts from other books. I'm pretty sire that there was more with Armond and Pandora and that the Death Valley concert was a much bigger scene. I'm surprised it wasn't more of a gore fest in this movie.
I like Anne Rice's vampires. They are powerful and romantic and tragic. I especially like that she has this very intricate system worked out and sticks to it. Her vampires are powerful but not invulnerable. That comes across in the movies, as well. I tihnk it's much easier to watch a vampire story about someone who is deeply flawed, the vampire I mean, then watching a movie about the angst-ridden glitterati who are always heroes, not anti=heroes. I also like Rice's books and the movies because they are serious and take themselves seriously, but they don't take themselves overly seriously or get all melodramatic about it.
I seem to remember more sex in the book, as opposed to none in the movie. Sure, there were some teaser scenes which quickly cut to someone, usually Lestat, regaining consciousness sometime later. That's really too bad.
I consider this film to be one of the classic vampire films and wish that they had made more of the books into movies, especially movies that didn't star Tom Cruise.

Queen of the Damned on IMDb

No comments: