Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Last Resort: Pilot Episode


I think ABC has just presented us with what they think can be a replacement for Lost. They've put in the big bucks on the special effects. I don't know if they spent big bucks on the cast, I'm guessing for at least a couple of them, but all the leads are recognizable from other television shows, good actors from good shows, with a couple of film actors thrown in for good measure I guess.
This episode of full of hints at secrets. There is at least one conspiracy at the highest levels that may involve a coup d'etat if it gets pulled off. There are the secrets of the various crew members not to mention the Navy Seals they extracted just before the shit starts to go down. There are NATO personnel with their own agenda. There is a weapons designer who knows at least a part of the truth about the plot device driving the show (which I'm not going to reveal - if you want a play-by-play visit the Wikipedia page for Last Resort).
The only negative comments I have about this show are that I know that I'm not going to find out diddly about anything big until I've invested many hours, and then when I think we're on track, then they'll start throwing twists at me. With that predisposition, I kind of felt when I was done watching that they were pushing too hard. I can't put my finger on a particular instance or scenario, more of just a general feeling. I am willing to suspend my disbelief, believe me, I spend most of my waking moments with my disbelief suspended, but I also felt that the U.S. military would not have reacted as they did, or should I more correctly say failed to react. But, I am willing to put off all things I've heard from my many friends and family members who have served in the Armed Forces and think that maybe I'll be seeing some of that in the next episode, and in fact if the show is even to make it to 13 episodes, I will probably see a lot of military action take place.

No comments: