Friday, October 26, 2012

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)


Oh Alan Tudyk, one of my friends hates you for Firefly, well more precisely for you character dying in Serenity, because now the new Firefly series won't be the same. She's an optimist. How old are you now, buddy? I'm not asking because you look old, it's just that by the logic of this movie, your character is childhood buddies with Tyler Labine's character, who is supposed to be 26, and I'm not sure that I buy that, though having a full beard messes with how old someone looks, so maybe... But, let's be realistic, you're at least my age, probably a couple of years older, but you stay in shape and I'll be generous and say that I would buy you as a 35 year old, maybe I'd even go so far as to allow you a 33 year old character, one which had lead a hard life. So just how big of an age difference did you have with your childhood buddy? 7 years (see best case scenario above) is a long time for kids, long enough to mean that you would never have been in school together. Maybe you were neighbors. Still, how weird would it be for you, I mean your character, to have best buds with an 8 year old when you were 15? Pretty weird.
Tyler Labine? I don't know you man, but damn brother, thanks for representing and good on you. I can't think of the last time that I saw a larger, shall we say, fellow get the girl, in a full beard none the less (you, not the girl). There were some good action scenes, good physical comedy too, but you didn't let your size ever be the joke. Now, I realize this is probably due to the script and the director as well, but you still could have played it that way, and you didn't. And for the record, I don't really buy that you look 26, I was just trying to rub it in Tudyk's face that he's not a kid any more, for my friend's sake...ya, I did it because of her...
Okay, I guess I shouldn't leave you out, Katrina Bowden. Um, hey. How's it going? I'm guessing you're not really 20, but I believe that you look 20. But, don't count on Hollywood thinking that for much longer, hell in the 2 years since this film came out, you've aged like 10 years in Hollywood time. So, play the young damsel in distress while you can, or you know, the dimwitted but hot receptionist.
Jesse Moss, are you around? Dude, you made a good psychopath. I'm sure you'll get the opportunity to play all kinds of characters throughout your career, but good looking bad guys are always in demand, and I can see a real future in it for you. You seemed to really get into this role, and I appreciate that, because you took it seriously in the context in which it was offered. Nice job.
Eli Craig and Morgan Jurgenson, you fellows wrote an excellent movie. My friend, the one who is not Tudyk's friend, had filled me in on the premise, so I came into this expecting a high cheese factor, and was pleasantly surprised not to be confronted by this. There were so many obvious jokes that you just let hang out there for us viewers to get or not get, but without any explanations that would have made this cheesy. Also, that opening which almost immediately flashes back to "three days earlier" is pretty crafty. Sure, I know that it's an oft used cinematic trick, but the movie doesn't end where it starts. The three protagonists are nowhere near the cabin, and the main antagonist doesn't look like the beginning guy by the end of the movie, so is this immaterial or setting us up for a sequel or just good movie fun? The one thing that I was waiting for, and I admit it was an obvious joke, was for us to find out what Tucker and Dale were on vacation from. You know what I'm talking about, Tucker might work as an accounts manager somewhere, and Dale works at an auto parts store.
Anyways, thanks for the good time, y'all.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil on IMDb

No comments: