Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Your Highness (2011)


I am sure that the title of this film is intended to be a blatant double entendre on the fact that the main characters are princes and that a lot of pot is smoked by the characters. But I think really it's a quality control comment aimed at the audience, as in, "How much will enjoy this movie? That depends on your highness." As I stopped measuring my life in those terms years ago, I struggled through the first bit of this film as I ate my dinner, only continuing because it's harder to type this while eating than watch a bad movie while eating. But then two things happened (no double entendre intended - if you've seen the film you'll know what I mean), first I noticed that despite the juvenile and simple attempts at humor and a story, that the special effects, costumes and scenery were actually top notch and I think it is either the herald of a new age of special F/X wizardry where even sucky films can have great SF/X, or someone was actually willing to put a lot of money into this thing, perhaps because they were high. The second, and more important reason is Natalie Portman. Let's see, she's kicking ass and taking names while wearing tight outfits and revealing just a touch of skin...this is why I played Dungeons and Dragons for all those years - for this moment. That it happened in a crappy film is immaterial.
Okay, what didn't suck about this movie? Natalie Portman, Zooey Deschanel, Charles Dance, Justin Theroux and sometimes James Franco, the SF/X, the scenery, the costuming.
What did suck in this movie? Danny McBride (or maybe he's just such a brilliant actor that I hate the character so much I don't even realize he's nothing like that), dick jokes, sodomy jokes, rape jokes and making light of child molestation on several occasions. Now, it should be said that I'm not the biggest fan of blue humor, but I still get it - this stuff was not funny, not even American Pie funny and that's about as base as you can get.
This movie was obviously designed to be a kind or "raunchy" comedy, but they took the genre serious enough to not go the spoof route. The jokes made about fantasy settings, this is a completely separate and more subtle business than the junior high humor that fills the dialog, are usually visual in this film and a nod to old school role playing games. But, really I was only able to get far enough to make that kind of analysis because of Ms. Portman.

Your Highness on IMDB

No comments: