Monday, March 04, 2013

ParaNorman (2012)


I know that I'm supposed to like this movie because it's animated and it's all about people accepting others for who they are, blah, blah, blah. It's very well produced. I'll give them that. But, the story was pretty mediocre and predictable. I really don't like this style of animation, but it was done well. I am always confused by this type of animated movie - the characters and scenery are caricatures and fairly unrealistic, but the effort put into the physics of the hair is extremely realistic where applicable. It probably goes back to the Incredibles. That movie was amazing, I think we can all agree on that. So, these mediocre films come along and copy it's style and hope that is enough to parlay into box office and DVD gold.
The one thing about this movie that I really did like, and this seems like a good time to mention that I didn't hate any of it I just didn't see much in this film to recommend it, was the special effects when Norman is confronting Agatha. That green lightning-ectoplasm-plasma stuff was pretty cool. Stylistically, it didn't really match with the rest of the film, almost as if done by a different animation studio.

ParaNorman at IMDb

No comments: