Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Wedding Crashers (2005)


What is up with me and Christopher Walken movies lately? I can't seem to get away from the guy. How many more can there be? I should have pretty much run out of them by now. But, in all due fairness to Mr. Walken, He was only like the fourth most annoying person in this movie, right behind Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson and  Will Farrell. That kind of makes it worth, because each of these three guys I've seen in plenty of things that I like, though admittedly not together. There is one Walken movie that I like, but I can't remember what it's called, I think it has Eric Stoltz in it though and Walken is either an angel or the devil. Hmm. If I can find that on DVD or online, I'll watch that, because even if it turns out that it totally sucked (it probably did, but that's okay I like plenty of sucky movies), it still has to be better than this film.
I know what you're thinking, "Eric, how could you not know what you were getting yourself into?" Point well taken. I just wanted to watch something funny. It was sitting there looking at me. I was in the mood to watch something that I hadn't seen before, and voila! Crap happened.
It's not just this movie that throws me off, it's this whole genre of comedies - the ones where the guys are lovable assholes that are always fucking people over until one day, they accidentally fall in love with the girl they were just leading along. Awkward and stupid scenes follow until the girl admits that she really feels the same and wants to be with the asshole. Not only do I realize that this set-up is actually quite depressing now that I write it down, it's more that the guy is shameless in a particular way. He is shameless in how horrible he is to anyone that is not him. The other kind of shameless, the guy who will do anything for the laugh, I often find them quite funny and often respect their artistic decisions (think Ken Jeong here in every movie he has ever been in, or as Chang on Community). That's my lame epiphany for the day - assholes being mean to people is not comedy.
There were a couple of okay bits in the movie, like how Dwight Yoakam and Rebecca De Mornay make a great couple in the opening scene. Or, when the credits start to roll. I would have to say that those were my two favorite parts.

The Wedding Crashers on IMDb

No comments: