Friday, March 15, 2013

Stand Up Guys (2012)


This movie was recommended to me. I was assured that it was a great film, even though I made it abundantly clear to the recommender that I am not a fan of Christopher Walken. He assured me that Walken was at his best in this film and that I would like it or something was wrong with me. Apparently, something is wrong with me.
Walken at his best is still Walken. I mostly just thought of how similar his speech patterns are to William Shatner's. I think somebody that could do a good impersonation of one could probably do the other with little extra effort. But you know what? Walken is far less annoying in this film than Al Pacino's character is. Was it wrong of me to hope that Walken would "whack" Pacino? That is the premise of the movie, a crime boss played by Alan Arkin promises not to kill Walken if Walken kills Pacino (of course I mean their characters - don't think I would wish any harm to the fine and august gentlemen). Walken figures out that he can't even if it means his own life because Pacino is his only friend in the whole world. Except he loves his granddaughter.
Blargh. Don't mind me. Even writing this up leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I guess they can't all be winners, 'cause this one definitely ain't.

Stand Up Guys on IMDb

No comments: