Thursday, December 13, 2012

Date Night (2010)


Oh my god. This was funny. I think this might be the perfect comedy model. Take some well known wits, cast them as John and Jane Everybody and then put them in a ridiculous situation. Add in some well known action types and some well known hipsters playing goofballs and WHAM!
Now granted, I am a fan of Steve Carell. Now matter how similar his characters are, he always gives 110%. He seems like such a nice guy, too. And Tina Fey...I love her. I'm not even being very hyperbolic. I will watch anything that she is in, has written or produced. The same goes for books she's written, et cetera, et cetera. I just think that she is fantastic. And hot.
There are several supporting cast members that I am rather fond of; James Franco, Mila Kunis and Mark Wahlberg. I watch pretty much every thing they are in, and them all together in one film is perfect. In fact, this afternoon when talking about this movie and movies to watch in general, I recommended movies mentioning two of the three. I'll let you pick which two.
This movie is so improbable. That is a big part of what makes it work. No matter how outrageous it gets, the couple from New Jersey never turn into action heros. The closest it ever gets is when Phil hits one of the bad cops with an ore. Unless you count Claire dressing up the way she does in the Peppermint Hippo.
I don't really have anything critical to say about this film. Not that I need to say anything critical. But, I was going to dis Mark Ruffalo, except that he didn't totally annoy me. If he had been in the film longer he probably would have, but he didn't. It might have been offset by the fact he was playing to Kristen Wiig, who I didn't much care for on SNL, but have really liked in the various movie roles I've seen her in.

Date Night at IMDb

No comments: