Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)


Is this movie predictable? Yup. Does that really matter? Nope.
I forget exactly the conversation that led to me putting this movie on hold. It was something high-falutin' about the intricacies of time travel and the philosophical paradoxes that this can create. Something about timelines and knowing one timeline but living in another. Something. But, my friend failed to mention to me that this was a stupid, dorky, geeky comedy that was as much an homage to the 80s as anything else, not just the era, but the music and films of that era. And since it stars John Cusack, a lot of this is self-referential.
In short, this is an awesome movie. Maybe not for everyone, or maybe even not for me at another time, but tonight - yeah, it was good.
You know how it is, sometimes you find yourself in a particular state of mind and through the twists of fate you end up seeing or hearing exactly what you need to get through it. I was having this amazing day, actually like two days in a row, which is very rare for me. For once all the various computer things were going great. Working on the rewrite of my book has been going well, for actually a couple of weeks now, I was having good conversations with my usual crew online. And even most surprisingly I was doing okay in real life. But this afternoon, I somehow worked myself up into...something. I just went to a dark place. I took off instead of staying until the end of the day, where I knew I would get a ride and a chance to talk with my friend. By the time I was home, I was all convinced how I needed to stop doing everything I was doing because there was no point in anything. I put on some music which I hoped would be soothing, but really it probably just fed the whatever, and then I curled up on the couch, turned off the light and tried to keep from bawling my eyes out and mostly succeeded. Somehow I got the energy to eat some dinner. I say that like I often miss dinner, but anyone who has ever seen me knows that I have missed very few meals in my life, and in fact has taken on some extra ones just in case one gets missed in the future. The important thing here is that instead of eating my soup in the dark, I put in this movie. It did it for me.
And then, you couldn't possible know anything about this, but it's October 13, 2012 and I'm listening to the broadcast of the radio show, Live Wire. I turned it on just in time to hear author Daniel Smith talk about his new book, Monkey Mind which is his memoir about dealing with a life of anxiety and how he has mastered it.
I don't believe in coincidence. I really don't. I get what's going on right now. I might not remember it later. It's kind of like one of those epiphanies you get when you're high, that later seems like gobbledy-gook. Except I'm not high. I will admit that maybe my brain chemistry is out of whack. But, I can read everything I wrote and recall the thoughts, so there you have it.
You probably think, all three of you who have ever read this blog, that I have strayed farther afield than normal from this movie, but other than half a dozen allusions to oral sex, I really haven't. Don't believe me? Watch the movie then re-read this.

No comments: