Friday, August 30, 2013

Atlas Shrugged part 2 (2012)

Part of me felt like I could start writing this before the movie even started. But, much like I made the agreement with Ayn Rnad 20+ years ago, I always wait until I'm done watching, not counting jotting down a note on scratch paper of course. One of the ladies I regularly talk about movies and television shows with tells me how she and her husband watch television and movies - they have something to read or work on while watching. If it's a really good movie, she might only get a little reading or sewing done. I'm not that kind of watcher. It's that whole social contract thing, but at least now, when it's crap I just stop watching.
Okay, I don't know what happened between part 1 and part 2, but damn, there is actually some good acting going on in this movie, and even more so, there are actors I recognize - like the opening scene with Robert Picardo. The drawback is that some actors have been replaced, and they're pretty noticeable changes. For example, oh lets see, how about everyone? Different production company, more money and voila, a whole new cast!
I swear that if I ever hear the phrase "who is John Galt?" again I will likely hit the speaker right in the nose. Truth. (Did I just say that? Gawwww.) Speaking of John Galt, they did continue to underwhelm me with the SF/X. When they dismantle the John Galt railroad line, and they show the super suspension bridge, it''s only one line running across, but in the first movie, it's very clearly two lines and wide enough to have held a third. Completely amateurish. As it turns out it's because they have (literally) blown their load on the bit train collision scene.
Instead of dwelling on the completely unsatisfying ending, let's instead reflect on Ayn Rand, science fiction author. Sure, when I read the book I didn't picture cold fusion engines, super steel or holographic mountains, but that's because I'm not one of the ielite. I only wondered who John Galt was until I saw something sparkley out of the corner of my eye. Did I mention the futuristic stealth jets?
Here's the important part - if you can make yourself sit through part 1, part 2 is the pay off, relatively speaking.

Atlas Shrugged on IMDb

No comments: