Monday, August 05, 2013

The 4400 Season 3 disk 1

Episode 1: The New World
So, Isabelle is all grown up, literally in a moment and Lily ages 50 years in a minute. I wonder if this story came about because they couldn't get Laura Allen back, or if it was always planned. i think it must have been the former. At the end of season 2, Isabelle is grown up and presenting her nekkid self to Shawn, while Lily, still young and annoying is running around looking for her. I wonder why they killed off the character after doing this - it seems they could have worked with a suddenly older Lily.
So, the Nova group are terrorists because they made wheat grow in the desert.Gotcha. This whole story line could really rock or really suck. It is very reminiscent of what they did in Alphas, of course I know it's really the other way around, it's just that I watched Alphas first. I like the notion of a 4400 underground resistance that is both righteous and scary, and I like the notion of a government agency that will throw the Constitution out the window to protect 'normal' humans. We could so totally go down the X-Files path here and have some great commentary on society and politics. But, the 4400 is going to have to go more indepth on both accounts. As I mentioned before, this could be accomplished if they didn't try to do so much at once. Though, with people dying and getting disappeared, and the disappeared still out of the public eye *cough* Jordan Collier *cough* maybe they are thinning the field at least a bit.
It's nice to see Deputy Andy as the gruff, pessimistic NTAC agent. Though, now that I think about, he was playing this role first. Last season, we saw the actress that played Lupo on as Kyle's lab-partner-with-benegits for one episode. It just kind of makes me wish that they hadn't cancelled Eureka and that I'd rather be watching that. Even though it was as a sci-fi procedural with strong comic overtones, they handled the conspiracy element and long story arcs much better than the 4400 is doing. Not that I am not enjoying watching this show. I do like it, but let's be honest, without the sci-fi element I wouldn't be watching this - the stories aren't that strong and the acting isn't that good.

Episode 2: Being Tom Baldwin
So Shawn, pedophile much? Isabelle is like a year old, but in the body of a 20 year old. This has been established by all parties involved. What's moreso is that she's only been in this adult form for a month or so. Is this someone you should me hooking up with? It seems the answer on television and in the movies is always that the guy doesn't want to have sex, but the gal wants to so he has no choice in the matter. Perhaps this is only used for dramatic purposes or for moving the story along or perhaps a bit of wish fulfillment on the part of the writer. But, I kind of think that lots of guys really feel this way. Maybe it's a biological imperative that (most) men will shag anything offering it a chance to be shagged. I don't know what my hang-up is here. If both adults are consenting, then happy-happy-fun time, I don't think there is a requirement to have this consent be a good decision on either participants part. I guess I am bothered because the guys are always shown doing this, and if they don't then something is wrong with them (I'm talking about television/movie portrayals here). If you have a moral system that stops you, or personal choices or have different standards, you are somehow deficient. Meh.
I was wondering how long it would be before there was a 4400 with a mimic ability. I was wondering how they were goign to handle it, like would she or he physically change shape, or would it be trick of the light, or would it be psychological. They didn't go into that in the episode, not because they didn't ask, Tom does posit a possible theory for how it's accomplished, but they didn't go into it because they needed to study it first. What feels like a cop-out at first blush, is actually a very believable way to deal with it. If you don't know what it is, study it. I've got to say that every time I saw the double on screen or someone I thought might be an impostor, my thought was "doppledeaner".

The 4400 at IMDb

No comments: