Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Hudson Hawk (1991)

I watched this the first time when I was a kid. Well, if being college aged counts as being a kid. During my senior year of college, I had an apartment that had cable, and while now the first thing that pops to mind is how I managed to get any school work done at all, I recall that I saw this movie on t.v. and not from a video I rented. I certainly know that the version I saw had no profanity in it, whereas the theatrical release has the dialogue peppered with it. This  is neither good nor bad, just really obvious because the version in my memory had the language dubbed over.
I never thought of this as a great movie, but I was fond of it. It is pretty much your typical Bruce Willis fair, an action film with elements of comedy and romance strewn about throughout the course of the film. Like I said, not great, but completely enjoyable. I was really concerned that the Suck Fairy would have come and made this unbearable to watch. But, maybe she only visits films you watched before the age of 18 or something along those lines, because I think that I actually liked it better this evening than I did 20 years ago.
There ar really a couple of things worth commenting about, first, this film gets all meta a couple of times, including right at the end where highly unlikely things are explained by something equally as unlikely, all of which happened off camera, and second, David Caruso looking much younger and thinner than he would very shortly in NYPD Blue plays one of the bad guys - I kept looking at his face and thinking that he seemed really familiar and then finally figured it out.
As far as corny action flicks go, this is certainly one of, if not the best Bruce Willis vehicle and maybe one of the better ones starring anybody.

Hudson Hawk on IMDb

No comments: