Friday, November 16, 2012

Maverick (1994)


I was totally ready to not be entertained by this film. I don't much care for Westerns as a rule. I have seen the series this is based on, and thought maybe my time would be better spent organizing files on a folder somewhere. But, I turned it on anyway, something to look at as I started eating my dinner. The next thing you know, I'm hooked and watched the whole thing. I thoroughly enjoyed it, too. The only real drawback was that the whole time, Maverick was Gibson, Annabelle was Foster and Coop was Garner. Not that they were bad, but I never got passed the actor to the character. There are worse actors to not get passed... *cough* Keanu Reeves *cough*.
I liked the nod to Danny Glover during the bank robbery. That was quaintly clever and I can just imagine the looks on some of the movie-goers faces 18 years ago when the light went off in their little brain. "Hey, it's the other guy from those movies!" And indeed it was.
The other scene I really liked was the first half of the poker tournament. There were a lot of faces I recognized from television and movies - many of the actors were of the elderly persuasion, so it was cool to see them.
Interestingly, I didn't see Danny Glover's name in the credits, nor did I see Denver Pyle's name (he played Uncle Jesse on the Dukes of Hazzard - hard to miss). I'll have to explore on IMDB. I did notice that quite a few country music stars did music for the film and appeared in it as well - Clint Black, Vince Gill and, well okay, just those two, plus their wives I think. If only Randy Newman had appeared in the movie as a saloon piano player, that would've been cool.

Maverick on IMDb

No comments: