Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Avengers (1998)


I really wished that I had been able to get Joss Whedon's Averngers movie, which I imagine is a tad different from this one. Alas, that movie is not out on DVD yet (well at the time when I wrote this), so I had to do with this Avengers. This movie is based on a television show that aired before I was born so of course the library system doesn't have it for watching. I'm normally not into 60s television shows, but after watching this movie it would love to see if it's even close to what it's based on. Does that make it sound like I don't like this movie? I hope not, because I do like it.
In an effort at achieving full disclosure, I heart Uma. She's purty. She fills out a jumpsuit quite swimmingly.
Ralph Fiennes ain't too bad, either. He looks very at home in a black bowler.
This movie is very punny, particularly the early dialogues between Mr. Steed and Mrs. Peel. Fortunately this doesn't fall over into the action which is taken quite seriously, even though the premise or the setting or both is often quite ridiculous.
You know what this reminds me of? A British version of Get Smart. The romance and the action are quite serious, but the dialogue and premise are absurd. Quite entertaining really. I wonder if they initially planned on doing a series of movies? I thought the same thing when I watched the movie adaptation of Wild, Wild West. You have a movie with instant name recognition. You have witty if not sparkling dialogue. You have some big action sequences. And, you have big name stars attached, ones that are known to do a sequel or two in their time.

The Avengers on IMDb

No comments: