Monday, November 05, 2012

The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice (2008)


This is a film in which Doctor Carter and Detective Beckett battle Senator...crap, I forgot the character name - the Senator from the first X-Men movie who turns to water...ah well, I've spoiled the moment already.
Okay, Noah Wylie plays a character that is not a doctor, but instead a librarian. I happen to be rather fond of librarians and maybe that's why I think this was a good career move for him. Well, I'm not too familiar with his character on ER. I watched it a few times and remember George Clooney and Anthony Edwards, and a scene with Dr. Carter with a really big beard. Wylie must have been quite young when he played that role.
Stana Katic is the love interest/undead temptress, Simone. When I saw this movie the first time, I didn't know her at all and remembered thinking that she was kind of cute and that I didn't really buy her French accent, even if she had been in the US for a couple of centuries. But, since then I've seen four seasons of Castle in which she plays the indomitable Detective Kate Beckett. She's also pretty young, I think just in her early thirties.
Note to my childhood self in case he reads this through some weird anomalous space-time rip or worm hole - I know that people in their thirties don't seem young, but trust me kid, they are. I don't think women really become beautiful until about thirty, they can be attractive and pretty and gorgeous, but they're missing the seasoning necessary for true beauty. Trust me kid - girls only get better looking and women always trump girls. I think there is a corollary for men too. Brad Pitt for example, much more attractive in his thirties than his twenties. Oh, but don't think it stops then - beauty, I mean truly striking beauty continues on into her fifties and in some cases sixties depending on the woman. Same thing for dudes. But, then it's all downhill from there, which I think you already know.
Okay, back to the matter at hand. This film is like a good version of Warehouse 13. Don't get me wrong, I love that show, but the acting is hit and miss and the episodes are fairly formulaic. The acting in the Librarian films is definitely a notch up. They are made for television, so profanity is lacking, as are the "sexy-sexy", but that's okay. It's funny and the main character is such a nerd as to be a rockstar. Really, I think this film easily stands up against theatrical releases like the National Treasure movies, okay Nick Cage isn't much to win against, so how about also does well against the Lara Croft movies, because I think we can all agree that Angelina Jolie is a better actor than Cage, but they're based on a video game, I know. How about I tell you that in my opinion these films stand up pretty well against the Indiana Jones franchise. Would you believe me? I'm not going to say they're better than Raiders of the Lost Ark, because let's face it, few films are, but I will stick these up against the other three. It the Librarian films had the budget of the Indiana Jones flicks, I'm sure it would win, you know, except against Raiders, because that is one of the best movies of all times.

The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice at IMDb

No comments: