Tuesday, November 06, 2012

The Librarian: Quest for the Spear (2005)


I know you are supposed to watch this movie first, you know, so that you know how Flynn gets hooked up with the library, but I watched it third. Still as entertaining as if I watched it first. Not that I could have watched it any other way - I watched the second and third ones a couple of years back when they did marathon on TNT and we missed the first one. So, I watched the third one again night before last, now the first one, and will put a hold on the second one to watch next week. Good stuff.
While watching this film, I have the foresight of knowing where they are going with the characters, so it was interesting to see how it all started in that context.
This movie was goofier than the third, lots of Flynn tripping over his own feet and stuff, only to have him do some truly bad-ass thing based upon something he read combined with his observations of the world around him. Not a bad way to portray librarians, as far as I'm concerned, and if any non-librarian would know, it would probably be me.
I've always thought that Bob Newhart and Jance Curtain were funny, and there roles in this series of movies does nothing to dissuade that. What I didn't know was that I liked Noah Wylie so much. He is more leading man than comedian. Honestly, I bet that actors like Wil Wheaton look at Wylie and are totally jealous because they think that could have been them. Sure Wheaton, blame Wylie for being too short.
Kyle McLachlan as the baddy was great, especially since he was the goodie-turned-baddie. Very nice role for Muad'dib. Honestly, while I might not like all the movies that I've seen McLachlan in, I've always liked his characters.
Lastly, Sonya Walger and Kelly Hu deserve a shout out for the kicking ass and looking hot, if not their acting chops. I don't blame them, though. The script and director made them say and do the cheesy things they did, and at least they did it looking attractive.

The Librarian: Quest for the Spear at IMDb

No comments: