Monday, February 25, 2013

Jonah Hex (2010)


I soooooo wanted this movie to be good. I recently saw Josh Brolin in Men in Black 3 and thought he was wonderful and was discussing his performance in No Country for Old Men which in turn reminded me of W. and so I searched to see what else the library had that I might watch him in. I ended up with this. Now, I am not completely unfamiliar with Jonah Hex. I read the comic as a kid, but to be completely up front mostly remember the reboot as "Hex" where the Jonah Hex character was mysteriously and inexplicably sent into the future. I also remember hearing about this movie being made as well as not recalling a single review of it. That's never a good sign. I knew that Brolin was in the movie and that Megan Fox said no to Transformers 3 to do this, a move I bet she regrets financially at least.
This movie sucked, but to be honest I'm not sure why. I thought the acting was passable, though every time I saw Will Arnett on screen I expected him to be setting up for a joke or to be making sexual innuendos - I think he's hilarious, but not who I'd pick for this kind of role, especially after seeing him in it. Megan Fox was not a disappointment and I will say that she held her own in her scenes, but really that's not saying that much. I think it got off on the wrong foot. They did some live action for like three or four minutes and then did an animated "origin of Jonah Hex" that lasted two or three minutes and then went back to live action to tell a story that didn't give a crap about characters. Honestly, the only character I cared about was the dog, and at times the Lilah character, but only at times.
This movie should have been the origin story, and the sequel should have had Hex hunting down Turnbull. As it was, there was no character building. I read the comic book, and I still didn't have enough to go on for most of it. It was a lot of, "oh that name rings a bell" and before I could figure out why it did the character was gone.
I'm chalking this one up to a bad script and bad calls made by the director. Though I would like to give special kudos to whomever's job it was to keep Megan Fox's boobs from popping out of that dress and pushing this film into an R rating.
It just donned on me how to describe this film and what I found wrong with it - it had the look of True Grit remake, the feel of the Wild, Wild West remake and the story of a Quentin Tarentino movie.

Jonah Hex at IMDb

No comments: