Friday, February 01, 2013

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)


I like this movie in spite of itself. They really mess with the Marvel universe and the X-Men movies timeline to boot, but let me be honest, I will watch anything with a) Wolverine or b) Hugh Jackman, and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is a must see for me.
One of the reasons I'm watching this movie now is that I just watched X-Men: First Class. Since that is the first of the films, I though why not watch all five in timeline order. I also watched the movie because movies are a really good way to escape reality for a little while and I thought that I could really use some Canuck action.
On it's own, this movie is pretty good. But, if you try and fit it into the X-Men movie timeline/universe it has a few problems, and if you compare it to the comics version, there are a whole lot more. But, before I get into the issues I want to say that the cast of this movie is great. Hugh Jackman is Wolverine. Liev Schreiber is an actor I enjoy watching whether it be on the silver screen or playing a cop on CSI, he gets into his roles and has not let me down yet. I also really liked Danny Huston as the villain of the story, Col. Stryker. I'm not sure what I've seen Huston in before but he has a familiar looking face. Will.I.Am, in the first movie I've seen him in, does an excellent job. Ryan Reynolds plays Wade Wilson pretty well, and I'm not sure how the Deadpool of this movie ends up like the comic book Deadpool, but I'd watch the movie with Reynolds that was trying to tell me. And last but not least is Lynn Collins who plays very well opposite of Jackman, plus I think she's a looker and I like looking.
Granted I think Schreiber is great as Victor Creed, he is not Sabretooth, and that totally sucks. Tyler Man plays a great Sabretooth in the X-Men movies (1 through 3) and it's a pity that he wasn't playing Sabretooth. Maybe Man doesn't have the acting chops of Schreiber, I get that, but you have this guy, Victor Creed who is the same height as Wolverine. How do you account for that? I'm supposed to believe that in the next 8 to 10 years that takes place before X-Men 1, that Victor goes feral, has his hair turn blond and grows a foot in height? Here's the deal Mr. Movie-Maker, I would totally buy that if you gave me a reason why. Actually, this might be the only incongruity between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men 1 through 3. That actually isn't too bad in sheer numbers, but in weight it's kind of a big deal.
Damn, there is one thing that bothers me, and it's not a timeline/character issue. It's right at the end when Stryker uses the adamantium bullets on Wolverine. How do the bullets og adamantium go through adamantium? And at least as important, how does Logan heal the holes? We see him do this and I don't mean the skin closing up, we see the holes in his skull heal up. I understand the need to use some plot device to cause Logan to forget, but a bullet up through the soft palette would really have made me more happy.
The problems with the internal consistency of these movies really comes out when you compare X-Men: First Class (XMFC) with X-Men Origins: Wolverine (XMOW). First, Ororo Munroe - in XMFC she's about 10 in 1962, but in XMOW, she look even younger in the 1980s. Second, Professer X - in XMFC paralyzed in 1962, on XMOW, walking around in 1990s. Third, Emma Frost - adult woman in 1962, young woman/older teen in 1990s. There are probably more things, but these were the big 3 that jumped out at me.
There are many differences between this movie and the comic book, like the fact that Canadian government being behind the Weapon X project is completely gone. Since Wolverine ends having a thing for Heather Hudson (not his mom - that's what they named her in this film) and being part of the Alpha Flight team. I love Alpha Flight - they're my favorite super-hero team. Disney, if you're reading this, if you won't give me an AF movie, at least put them in the next Wolverine movie (I know Wolvie in Japan is already done shooting).

X-Men Origins: Wolverine at IMDb

No comments: