Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Raven (2012)


For full disclosure, I have to state right off the top that I'm a fan of John Cusack. I also quite like Edgar Allen Poe, mostly for his writing, but also because we share the same middle name and our names have the same meter: Edgar Allen Poe - Eric Allen Cone.
I must also confess that while I knew a little of the life of Poe, I knew nothing of the end of his life. The opening narrative of the movie says that Poe was found delusional on a park bench in Baltimore and nothing was known of his last few days alive. I suspect that the events leading up to the start of the movie are based on what was really known about Poe. It just has the feel to it. This movie is a period piece and to my eye they went to a level of detail that would make even the BBC folks nod with approval. You don't put that much effort into realism just to mess with what is known about Poe. In furthering my confession I write this blog entry offline (like I do almost all of my entries) mostly because it's more convenient for me, but also because I like the irony. One thing that it does not afford me easy access to reference materials. So, while I have the collected works of Mr. Poe right here to peruse, I only have my knowledge from a lifetime ago from some class I took where I learned that Poe's wife died of consumption.
Disclosures and confessions behind us for now, let's get down to the nitty and the gritty. I like this movie. It was a historical thriller that did not go the route of the Sherlock Holmes movies with the over-the-top special effects and the slo-mo camera work revolving around the character because somebody thought the Matrix looked cool. I'm not saying it didn't look cool, 'cause it did, but at the same time is that really the best way to tell a Sherlock Holmes tale? Instead, the action in The Raven feels very believable and that's a good thing.
As far as the acting goes, John Cusack is the weak link of the movie. Seriously, this is not a complaint. I thought Mr. Cusack did a fine job, but the other actors, particularly Brendan Gleeson as Captain Hamilton, were superb. I'm not familiar with Luke Evans, but he does a good "intense". He also looks good with his shirt off. Just saying. I would watch other movies that followed the career of the character he plays in this movie, Inspector Fields, who is very much like Detective Murdoch from the Murdoch Mysteries television series and movies but grittier and more, um yeah I'm going to say it, intense. The last actor I wanted to mention is Sam Hazeldine, who pulls off a very good Hugo Weaving imitation at the end of the film. Maybe it's not an imitation, but I like the low-pitched voice and almost excruciatingly articulate pronunciations.
There is one thing about this movie that really chapped my hide. You're watching the resolution of the film, and if you're me, you're pretty satisfied with what you just watched. BAM! The credits start and it's this hardish rock song with some industrial elements and the graphics are abstract cgi of geometric ravens landing in piles as they die. What the fuck? This doesn't fit with the rest of the movie in either sound of look, and it doesn't fit with the second half of the credits. This really left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. So, watch the movie, skip the credits.

The Raven at IMDb

No comments: