Friday, February 22, 2013

The Dark Knight (2008)


One thing really bothers me about this movie, in fact it bothers me in all movies where they do this particular thing, and that's sub in one actor for another. In Batman Begins, the character of Rachel Dawes was played wonderfully by Katie Holmes. In The Dark Knight, the character of Rachel Dawes was played wonderfully by Maggie Gyllenhall. Where's the problem? I spent most of the movie looking at Maggie and thinking about how she wasn't Katie. I would have been fine if either one had played Rachel Dawes in both movies, but it sticks in my craw that they swapped in one actor for another as if it didn't matter. Maybe there was a really good reason why Katie couldn't back for this film and I should just get over it, but I kind of feel like the original Batman movies, though of course this movie was still awesome. Oh, and X-Men franchise, don't think I'm not going to name names, and let it slip how you've had Kitty Pryde played by three different actresses in three films, when we all know it should have been Ellen Page all along.
There is one other thing... [removed because I decided it's between me and the other person, not me and the internet]...
I liked The Dark Knight. I think it was one of the best sequels I've ever seen. The themes of the first movie are continued and expanded upon. Characters undergo further development. The action was more intense and even the drama was more intense. It does clock in at almost 15 minutes longer than the first movie, and i'm pretty sure that was to add more chase scenes which to be honest I could have done without quite so much, but at least they looked cool.
Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent and Heath Ledger as the Joker are the two stand out performances of the movie. They both step right up to the line and push at it, but don't go over it. They both get so intense at times, and I find most of their screen time riveting. They are quite a contrast from Tommy Lee Jones and Jack Pallance in the respective roles.
I thought the character of Gordon, first Lieutenant and then Commissioner, was the most interesting. I think it says a lot about Gary Oldman as an actor that I totally forgot that I was watching him and just thought about Gordon. It's very interesting to see this character walk the fine line of legality versus illegality and legality versus justice. He has a strong moral sense that allows him to break minor rules in order to achieve more important goals, first and foremost being that he works directly with Batman even though the police force is technically hunting the 'vigilante' Batman.
I love that Nestor Carbonell plays the mayor of Gotham. The other project that I know this actor from is the live action Tick televsion show, where he played the (not so) super hero Bat-manuel, where he spends all of his time trying to use his super hero persona and super suit and super car to pick up women. I doubt that had anything to do with him getting cast, but I'm amused by it.

The Dark Knight on IMDb

No comments: