Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Django Unchained (2012)

When I checked this one out, the librarian said to me that with 100 gallons less blood this would have won the Oscar for best movie. I was skeptical to say the least as I normally find Tarantino's films entertaining but a bit heavy handed. I certainly did expect there to be too much blood. But, to my pleasant surprise, this was a really good film. Too much blood, true, but maybe only 50 gallons too much.
There's a fair bit of humor offered in this film, much of it the slightly blue humor that we've come to expect from Quentin Tarantino, but I don't think that it was off-base. This film's storytelling style is really reminiscent of the Kill Bill films, but with fewer and shorter scenes of extended violence.
To be completely honest, the gore didn't bother me a bit, and while I concur with the librarian that there was too much of it to be an Oscar winner, I don't think there was too much of it to tell the story. There was only one thing that bothered me, and that is when Laura gets shot by Django - one shot from his Colt 45 and she flies back, which would not be too improbable if she didn't fly off at about a 60 degree angle to the vector that the bullet was taking. I'm guessing few people noticed this.
Jamie Foxx was great. I had never noticed how big his hands are before, but I fixated on that a little bit, as I watched him totally own the role of Django. On par with Foxx's performance, and of no surprise was Leonardo DiCaprio as Mr. Candy. He nailed that character, the rich slaver who has far too much money and time on his hands. Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz do excellently in the supporting roles. My only critique really is a costuming one - Jackson with that white donut hair-do didn't look right, but otherwise both characters were spot on.

Django Unchained on IMDb

No comments: