Monday, July 08, 2013

Warm Bodies (2013)

I think that I can safely say that this is the sweetest zombie movie that I've ever seen. It is certainly a different take on the whole zombie sub-genre of films. This may be the first film in the new sub-sub-genre, to be known henceforth as rom-zoms. There was action and suspense as is typical in zombie films, and yes even the eating of brains, but that's just about where the zombie part ends and the romance part begins. I know that zombies are often used as a metaphor in films, sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant, but in this film they're not even really necessary to the real story arc. It could have been citizens from two different sity-states or neighborhoods or countries or planets. This is really a story about a boy falling for a girl, losing the girl and then winning her back. You know, boy-meets-girl, boy-loses-girl, boy-wins-girl-back. The walking undead are really just a mechanism to show difference and to get butts in seats.
I tend to like stories that get a bit into world building, or let's be honest, a lot into world building. That doesn't really happen at all in this story. But it's okay, because this is a "light" movie which I enjoyed as it was. The two young stars - Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer - are the main reason for that. First off, they both pull off the American accent quite well. They also turn out to be good actors. I know that you are thinking to yourself how hard could it be to pplay a zombie, but Hoult isn't a typical zombie and does a very good job, in fact in the context of this film I don't know how it could have possibly been better. The supporting actors, inclusind some guy name John Malkovich, do a pretty good job, too. If I hadn't already known that Dave Franco was in this movie, I would have recognized the family resemblance the first time I saw that brow of his. Also, I think this is the first film, or maybe even any appearance, where Rob Corddry hasn't gotten on my nerves, with a nod to Hot Tub Time Machine where he did get on my nerves but was supposed to get on them.

Warm Bodies on IMDb

No comments: