Saturday, July 13, 2013

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

Ah hells ya! I've been waiting for this film to show up in the library system. This is the fifth movie in an ongoing series (I see that they are already at work on episode 6). I suppose that they will keep going until Jovovich gets too old to play Alice. And that is fine with me. The first one was great, and then the second one came out, and it wasn't as good. I was worried that I had seen a trend starting, but the third one took the movies in a whole different direction and introduced new characters and the fourth took it in a different direction yet still. I thought 3 and 4 were great so I was really looking forward to this one and seeing how they were going to change it this time. I wasn't disappointed. We get to see further exploration of the use of cloning in the world of Resident Evil. We also literally get to see more of the world. This time around we are shown a really grim view of the world, one in which very few humans left. I continue to be impressed with the quality of the fight scenes and special effects.
The one disappoint that I have with this film is that they did not get the same actress back to play Jill Valentine. The person they did was fine, just different. They got everyone else back from all of the other films. Having the same actor is kind of key since  they deal so much with clones. I'm sure had Valentine had clones in this film they would have used the new actor for them, but my point is that because the focus on characters who look exactly like other characters that we viewers have paid close attention to the actors in their various roles. I am happy in particular to see Michelle Rodrequez and Oded Fehr continuing to be involved with the films as I really dig both of them.

Resident Evil: Retribution on IMDb

No comments: