Friday, July 26, 2013

The Covenant (2006)

I really wanted this movie to be good. Well, let me be completely honest and say, "good for this kind of movie". This kind of movie is as the box said from the producers of Underworld which stars the delicious Kate Beckinsale and is all about the war between vampires and werewolves. This movie is about witchcraft. Okay, sounds good to me. Witches keep their power secret...passed along blood lines...yadda, yadda, yadda. Okay, I'm still with you. The bad warlock wants the good warlock's power, which even seems like a plausible story line to me.
I am set for a somewhat straight-forward super natural action film with cool special effects. But, instead I get a group of the most mature looking 17 year olds I've ever seen who spend the first hour of the film stuck between a teen romance and a horror suspense film, neither of which it's doing well. By the time the reveal happens letting the good guys know who the bad guy really is, I've known for at least 45 minutes. When the action finally starts happening, it's not a bad film.
I didn't buy a single one of the actors as being 17 or 18. Why didn't they just set the story at college and make them 21 or 22? I might have gone for that. The school they all attend is an upscale boarding school, which at least to me translates well to small private university.
There are some rather big things left unanswered in this film that I presume they planned on answering over the course of several sequels, like what the hell is a darkling? Or, where are all the other witches? Maybe even, where does the power come from and why does using it ravage the body if used too often?

The Covenant on IMDb

No comments: