Sunday, July 05, 2009

The Bavarian Illuminati ate my shorts

Yesterday, the History channel ran shows from two different series all day long - 'The Presidents', which seems like a really good choice; and the series 'Conspiracies' (I might have the name wrong), which seems, um, interesting.
I'm as well versed in conspiracy theories as the next fellow, well, that is not exactly true. I know a bit more about 'm than most folks. I know my cabals from my commissions, so to speak. I find conspiracty theories immensely interesting and entertaining. But, I don't think they're history. Conspiracy theories are by definition, spculation, other wise they would not be theories, but exposed conspiracies. The difference is as simple as the differenece between the way subject of the Knights Templar are handled and the way the subject of Watergate is handled.
I'm a little surprised to see this kind of show on the History channel. There are so many interesting, exposed conspiracies throughout the history of the world that it seems you wouldn't need to resort to covering the 'speculative arts'. There are enough exposed conspiracies in U.S. history to have filled a whole day of shows.
But, Dan Brown is writing about the Tea Pot Dome cover-up, he's writing about the Illuminati. And Hollywood is making conspiratorial movies about the JFK assassination and not the Gulf of Tonkin.
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that even the History channel decided to go for the glitz and higher ratings instead of sticking to, er, history.

As a matter of full disclosure, I believe a lot of things and one of them is that people have a hard time not telling secrets. I think the vast majority of histories conspiracies are cover-ups not premeditated cabals.
"But, Eric," you ask, "who killed JFK?"
Well, that's an easy one, it was fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have been a busy little writer, lately, haven't you? Sheesh, it took me awhile to catch up. Warming up for November, are we?

I like conspiracy theories better than exposed conspiracies, personally. I mean, what is there, really, to talk about if the facts are all out on the table? That's when the drama, the speculation, and the gossip all die. No room for creativity at all.

Unknown said...

I agree. I just didn't expect to see the History channel going down that route...

Unknown said...

Have I been a busy writer? Not as much as I would like. It's more that I've been "good" about posting to my blog. :)