Sunday, July 19, 2009

Goodbye Frank

I had just written my blog entry (I don't write it online) and was preparing to post it here when I saw the news that Frank McCourt had passed away.
I absolutely love his books. I discovered about three years ago that the audio versions of his books are both unabridged and read by Mr. McCourt himself. I think you get so much more out of hearing a book read by it's author than just hearing it read.
Frank McCourt's stories of family and coming to America are brilliant. They are proof that good stories do not need super-heroes or far-fetched coincidences or haughty language to hold a reader's attention.
Ironically, the only book that I haven't read (or heard) is his most famous, "Angela's Ashes". But, I lan on reading it this summer, as soon as I'm done with "Ulysses".

No comments: