Saturday, July 25, 2009

When shark movies attack...

Today, I watched Samual L. Jackson get eaten by a genetically altered shark. Well, the character he was playing at any rate. What is it about sea life attacking people that seems so compelling that dozens of movies have been made about it?
The movie with Mr. Jackson, called "Deep Blue Sea". It had it's moments but was about 20 minutes too long. Though, I do appreciate the ending, as of the two characters that survived, only one was predictable. The love interest does not make it, but instead the eccentric chef does. Who saw that coming? It made sense though.
I unfortunately also watched the 'world premiere' of "Malibu Shark Attack". The special effects were good, the acting was pasable, it was just too damn long.. You can tell early on who is going to die and who is going to live, and it's not much of a suspenseful movie as it really depends on vicious shark attacks and later vicious attacks on sharks.
The third movie in my sea monster trilogy actually featured a giant squid instead of a shark. Blasphemy, I say! But, it was a fresh water giant squid...huh? Well, as long as it's that improbable, okay. Actually, this movie was pretty decent. It's called "Eye of the Monster" and stars James Van der Beek as a N.O.R.A. scientist sent to some large lake in the northeast to figure out why their fish population has become so depleted. The only real issue I had was that this lake must be friggin' huge and I think for some of the day time footage they used the great lakes. I guess if you're going to show one of the great lakes, then have the movie set there. But all in all, I would actually recommend this movie if you like the human versus natural monster genre.

No comments: