Thursday, July 02, 2009

Warnings from our Overlords

I am in deep shit with my Apple products this morning.
I just got back from my morning constitutional and decided to plug the ol' Ipod in to get her charged up. See, lately she's been having some longevity issues. While only seven months old, her battery life has dropped from around 20 hours to just over 3. That means I have to charge her at least twice a week now. She's probably going to be pissed off that I'm sharing her secret, but I'm a slow learner.
What happened when I plugged her in was partial impetus for writing this, the other part I'll get to in a minute.
As Itunes started to come up, it lagged and then an unexpected window appeared - it was the first time wizard. What? I've been running Itunes soldily since the new year began and this is a first. Or, is it a second? I've had her decide to dump my database twice before, but she always knew she had been running, she just thought that her database had become corrupt for some reason. Maybe it had, I don't really know.
The computer savvy folk out there are getting ready to respond with comments about bugs and patches, etc, etc. But, let me asure you, the system that runs Itunes is not connected to the internet and it has been since March. My Ipod connects only to this machine, so the likelihood that she is the culprit is slim.
Now, I do still put downloaded material on to this computer via my flash drive. But, I'm as careful as careful can be. Everything is scanned when it's downloaded on my laptop, which is running Linux (which in and of itself makes it immune to 99.9% of all malware) and then scanned daily on my desktop (this machine), because if studying to be a Network Administrator has taught me anything, it's that you can't be too safe. Oh, and back everything up, early and often.
Ironically, even though everything is reset and Itunes thinks she was just loaded, none of the databases, i.e. library or playlists are missing or needed reloaded.
To double the mystery, I was playing the game again today, and BAM! sondg number four is my song, "Charlie the Methodone Man" by Fastball (talk about a blast from the late 90s) and the Ipod locked up. She didn't stop playing, but the volume level was too loud and I couldn't turn it down, I couldn't fast forward or reverse, the menu was functioning and I couldn't turn her off. As soon as the song ends, and Pink Martini's "Amato Mio" starts, she returned control to me.
So, I think I'll take a break from my game. I don't know if she doesn't like me playing it, or writing about it, or if it's my own latent mutant abilities, but it's all freaking creapy in the end.

No comments: